0

Rotating Stall Control in a High-Speed Stage With Inlet Distortion: Part I — Radial Distortion FREE

[+] Author Affiliations
Z. S. Spakovszky, H. J. Weigl, J. D. Paduano

Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA

C. M. van Schalkwyk

Scientific Systems Co., Inc., Woburn, MA

K. L. Suder, M. M. Bright

NASA Lewis Research Center, Cleveland, OH

Paper No. 98-GT-264, pp. V005T15A023; 10 pages
doi:10.1115/98-GT-264
From:
  • ASME 1998 International Gas Turbine and Aeroengine Congress and Exhibition
  • Volume 5: Manufacturing Materials and Metallurgy; Ceramics; Structures and Dynamics; Controls, Diagnostics and Instrumentation; Education
  • Stockholm, Sweden, June 2–5, 1998
  • Conference Sponsors: International Gas Turbine Institute
  • ISBN: 978-0-7918-7866-8
  • Copyright © 1998 by ASME

abstract

This paper presents the first attempt to stabilize rotating stall in a single-stage transonic axial flow compressor with inlet distortion using active feedback control. The experiments were conducted at the NASA Lewis Research Center on a single-stage transonic core compressor inlet stage. An annular array of 12 jet-injectors located upstream of the rotor tip was used for forced response testing and to extend the compressor stable operating range. Results for radial distortion are reported in this paper.

First, the effects of radial distortion on the compressor performance and the dynamic behavior were investigated. Control laws were designed using empirical transfer function estimates determined from forced response results. The transfer functions indicated that the compressor dynamics are decoupled with radial inlet distortion, as they are for the case of undistorted inlet flow. Single-input-single-output (SISO) control strategies were therefore used for the radial distortion controller designs.

Steady axisymmetric injection of 4% of the compressor mass flow resulted in a reduction in stalling mass flow of 9.7% relative to the case with inlet distortion and no injection. Use of a robust H controller with unsteady non-axisymmetric injection achieved a further reduction in stalling mass flow of 7.5%, resulting in a total reduction of 17.2%.

Copyright © 1998 by ASME
This article is only available in the PDF format.

Figures

Tables

Interactive Graphics

Video

Country-Specific Mortality and Growth Failure in Infancy and Yound Children and Association With Material Stature

Use interactive graphics and maps to view and sort country-specific infant and early dhildhood mortality and growth failure data and their association with maternal

NOTE:
Citing articles are presented as examples only. In non-demo SCM6 implementation, integration with CrossRef’s "Cited By" API will populate this tab (http://www.crossref.org/citedby.html).

Some tools below are only available to our subscribers or users with an online account.

Related Content

Customize your page view by dragging and repositioning the boxes below.

Related eBook Content
Topic Collections

Sorry! You do not have access to this content. For assistance or to subscribe, please contact us:

  • TELEPHONE: 1-800-843-2763 (Toll-free in the USA)
  • EMAIL: asmedigitalcollection@asme.org
Sign In